In the top of this page, you can navigate to the manual, tutorials, and API reference.
This manual provides background information for the Utrecht University Crowd Simulation (UUCS) Unity3D plugin, version 1.2. The plugin is compatible with 64-bit Windows applications. We optimized this version for Unity3D version 2018.2.10f1. NB We have also compiled the plugin for the following operating systems: iOS, Linux and MacOS, and Win32. Please contact us at email@example.com if you are in need for one of these.
The UUCS plugin is a framework that provides advanced tools for simulating a crowd of agents, based on 10 years of research at Utrecht University and abroad. It embodies four main functionalities:
- Modelling the navigable environment and computing an exact navigation mesh;
- Setting up a scenario;
- Performing an interactive simulation;
- Making analyses.
The UUCS plugin allows programmers to develop applications that need realistic movements and behaviors of agents in virtual environments featuring e.g. big infrastructures, events or computer games. You can easily set up a crowd using the provided GUI, or use scrips that directly talk to the UUCS API.
In short, the plugin offers the following features.
Modelling the navigable environment
- Creating (static) 2D layers of walkable parts and obstructed parts
- Performing Boolean operations on 2D polygons
- Composing a 3D multi-layered environment
- Computing an exact navigation mesh
Setting up a scenario
- Placing building blocks, including start, goal and action areas
- Creating agent profiles; (NB We use the terms agent, character, pedestrian interchangeably.)
- Setting agent characteristics
- Moving possibly thousands of agents in real time; (NB The number of real-time simulated agents is based on your device’s performance.)
- Creating global indicative routes with some desired amount of clearance to obstacles
- Employing realistic collision avoidance
- Incorporating social groups
- Interpolating between individual and flowing behaviors
- Re-routing based on local density information
- Adding and removing dynamic obstacles
- Adding your own behaviors
- Analyzing crowd density
To demonstrate features of the plugin, we have also built several Demo scenes. You can find more information about the demos at the end of this manual.